Tarte Tatin recipe. The tarte Tatin is one of the most famous deserts in the french gastronomy. This apple tart is delicious and if you have never try it to do it yourself you will see how easy it is. I’m sure you are gonna adore it and become as fan as I am. Follow my apple tarte tatin recipe and you will be amazed with its flavor.
The apple tarte Tatin is an upside-down cake: You first cook the apples with the caramel and bake it with the pastry on top, flipping it once is cooked. This world-famous tarte Tatin recipe was created by the Tatin sisters, but the funny part of the story is that it was due to a mistake, pure serendipity. The forgot to add the pastry before, so they decided to bake it anyway with the pastry on top. They would never imagine at that time that the apple tarte Tatin was gonna become so popular.
We need to an oven-safe pan for this apple tarte Tatin, as you will make the caramel on it and place the apple and pastry on top. However, if you dont have any oven-safe pan, it is possible also to pour the caramel in a mold when it’s still liquid.
- 500 g puff pastry
- 75 g butter
- 150 g sugar
- 8 Reinette apples
- Put the oven-safe pan on a medium heat and add the sugar and butter.
- Let the sugar dissolve, turning the pan frequently and making sure the sugar doesn't burn.
- Cook until it forms a pale brown caramel, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Peal the apples, quarter them and remove the seeds and core with a spoon.
- Place the apple quarters very tight on top of the caramel. They will soften when we bake it, so it's better to place them tight. I like to put them rounded-side down.
- Roll the pastry to a 2-3 mm thick and lay it over the pan, on top of the caramel and apples.
- Tuck the edges of the pastry onto the edges of the pan and make a small cut in the middle of the pastry.
- Bake the apple tarte Tatin in the oven at 175 ºC for 30-35 min, or until golden.
- It's time to turn the appe tarte Tatin out, but we need to be very careful with the caramel, it will be burning.
- Leave it to chill about 5 minutes and put plate bigger than your pan on top of the pan.
- Protect your hands with oven gloves and flip the pan and plate firmly and quickly.