How to make a Simnel Cake. After the last recipe of the Hot Cross Buns I got addicted to British Easter recipes, so I decided to try another one: the Simnel Cake. I had never seen this amazing cake before, but when a colleague told me about the Simnel Cake, it intrigued me and I knew I was gonna try it as soon as possible.
The Simnel Cake is a fruit cake that contains a layer of marzipan in the middle. The fruit cake dough is so dense that you put half of it in the pan (I used the OXO Non-Stick Pro Cake Pan), a marzipan circle in the middle and the rest of the dough on top. After baking it’s covered with an apricot jam and decorated with another layer of marzipan with 11 balls that represent the apostoles (if you were wondering no, Judas is not counted in the Simnel Cake).
As most of the fruit cakes, as the dough is so dense, you need to bake the Simnel Cake at low temperature during longer time (2 hours at 150ºC) in order to cook it properly.
Easy Simnel Cake
The Simnel Cake is a traditional Easter fruit cake topped with apricot jam and marzipan.
- Tiempo de preparado: 30 mins
- Tiempo de cocción: 2 hours
- Tiempo total: 2 hours 30 mins
- Yield: 1 Simnel Cake 1x
- Categoría: Bakery
- 175 g butter
- 175 g brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 225 g flour
- 400 g dried fruits
- 600 g marzipan
- Apricot jam
Before starting with the Simnel Cake, preheat the oven at 150ºC
- Put the butter in a largue stainless mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon and whisk them together until you get a fluffy mixture.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing all together before adding the next one.
- Add the flour and dried fruits and give a good mix with a fork.
- Roll 200 g of marzipan into a circle with the diameter of your cake pan.
- Put half of the mixture of your Simnel Cake in the non-sticky cake pan and with a spoon smooth the surface.
- Place the circle of marzipan on top of the mixture.
- Spoon the remaining Simnel Cake mixture and level the surface.
- Bake the fruit cake at 150ºC over 2 hours, until well-risen.
We will leave to cool in the cake pan for 10 minutes and then turn out, leaving it on a wire rack until completely cools. Meanwhile, we will prepare the last layer or marzipan.
- Make another circle with 200 g more of marzipan.
- Form 11 balls with the rest of the marzipan.
- Once that the Simnel Cake is cool, brush the top of the cake with apricot jam and roll out the second layer of marzipan on top of it.
- Place the 11 marzipan balls on top and bake it under a hot grill during 1-2 minutes, to turn the marzipan golden-brown.